Saturday, 29 April 2017
So, the thing about studying part time, working full-time, being a mother of two, a wife and all that jazz... It's super busy and I'm really looking forward to this period being over (in two semesters, if I pass my exams) yet this is my priority. I want to be a Norwegian teacher and I want a permanent teaching job, so I just have to get these exams done. It won't be less busy if I wait a few years. I guess this is the price I have to pay when I change career midstream. Also, could never ever have done this without the support and help from my family. Someone has to feed my children whilst I dive deep into my books and miss their sweet faces.
more thoughts from a university reading room, part I and II
Labels: lists and plans
Friday, 28 April 2017
- productive days at the University reading room - my exam is on Tuesday
- having a few days off work just to study for my exam
- the cheering crowd that is all my social media friends and acquaintances
- good hair days
- red finger nails
- starting to feel the effect of project I quit sweet treats + more biking and walking - more energy, less bloating and more balanced blood sugar
- birdsong at dawn and dusk
- Sverre's love for blueberries
- when Sverre sleeps for so long on weekday morning I have to wake him up - which means I get to do all my morning routines alone - mamma bliss
- polarbrød with bacon, Philadelphia cheese and lots of cucumber
- making short videos using the iPhone and the Slice app
- #vanlife, the Bohemian Social-Media Movement (via Reading My Tea Leaves)
- five new habits that make my day easier
- just started watching season two of The Get Down on Netflix - both Sølve and I love this series
- the ever inspiring Mariell of Hjartesmil - her blog always makes me smile
- - -
Things I don't like lately
- a slight case of wrist tendonitis due to writing a whole lot of study notes by hand
- the piles of student papers that need grading when I have finished my exam...
Tuesday, 25 April 2017
Because Sunday on a Monday deserves a sweet treat. Easing my way into round three of project I quit sweet treats.
Always happy to see them work together. This time giving new life to part of the garden, with compost.
It has been a while since I have been around the lake. So nice to see how much spring has sprung.
Thumps up for post dinner garden play!
She is really into Roald Dahl these days - and I'm loving it!
Evening walks around the lake for the win. Especially in weather like this.
Because I got a job offer and accepted it. In short: I got to keep my job for another year and I'm super happy about it.
Another weekend, another project - a sandbox for the kids. Sverre is pretty eager to "help" too.
It's so satisying with a project that can be planned and completed in one day. Quote: super pappa and sandbox constructor Sølve
I had forgotten about my strong dislike of sand. Sandbox sand gets everywhere just like beach sand. Of course. We need a strategy to avoid sand all over the house. Is it even possible to avoid the sand? #momproblems
Another afternoon, another walk around the lake. Hoping to keep up this new routine for a while.
handwritten study notes ftw // oh the importance of proper pen selection // thoughts from a Sunday study session at the University reading room
- - -
Week 16: April 17-23
Monday, 24 April 2017
Keeping up the new cabin coffee making ritual: eagerly helping grandpa grind the beans.
Perk of getting up early: watching the sun rise.
ludo debut and loving it
Listening to her play whilst grading student papers. Oh the life of a (still quite fresh) teacher...
I asked her to find things to bring to Voss; love how organised it is. (If you know me, you know how organised I am, so seeing my daughter being organised - at least for a few minutes - makes my heart sing.)
Easter 2017, part two: Voss bound
Timmy time // mamma time
reaching // deep
Such a beautiful day! I even got some grading done. #thelifeofateacher
We opted for hanging out by the lake instead of skiing. It was the best choice.
favourite toddler // favourite dog
A campfire and hotdogs are always a good idea.
Watching dry leaves dance in the wind. Laughing.
around the house, family holiday home edition
to learn to climb stairs
because the light // also, Sølve made all those blocks for our first niece when she was Sverre's age
thank you and goodbye
almost home // the end of a long day driving - and queuing - in Easter traffic
- - -
Week 15: April 10-16
Friday, 21 April 2017
|from the Easter 2012 archives // Easter is one of my favorite holidays because we always spend plenty of time outdoors // Fuji Velvia 100F, Canon EOS 500N|
- I got to keep my job! (I'm in a temporary position until the end of the school year; the position is now extended for another year. Fingers crossed it will be a permanent position some time in the future.)
- Easter holiday; first a few days at the mountain cabin with my in-laws and then days at Åsly (the family holiday home at Voss) with friends
- the first daffodils, coltsfoot and wood anemones of the season + budding trees - spring has sprung for real
- biking to work every day this week
- evening walks around the lake whilst listening to an audiobook. Started "How to Kill a Mockingbird" but wasn't in the mood for it, so switched to something easier; the third book in the Bridget Jones series.
- this interview with Sarah Britton of My New Roots
- In my fridge: Inside The First Mess' stunning seasonal arsenal
- hearing Anania Ngoliga play the illimba (thumb-piano) live (via DKS) - such a beautiful sound of that instrument!
- Live redder verden. Litt.
- so fascinated by zero waste life, for example via Zero Waste Home, Trash is for Tossers, Grønare Kvardag and Grønne Jenter. Not planning to do this myself though.
- Søstrene ville ha mer friluftsliv i hverdagen. Det førte til 52 overnattingsturer på 52 uker. + Tursøstre
- roasted root tangles video by Green Kitchen Stories
- this interview with one of my favorite food bloggers, Molly Wizenberg
- Linn's last post (in Norwegian) - I can so relate to how she describes her body's reaction to sugar - got so inspired I bought her 10 days kickstart menu. Not sure when I'll do it though; probably after my exam - which is in just 11 days...
- - -
Things I don't like lately
- stomach ache, a kind that I have never felt before
- being bloated (sorry, was that too much information?)
- have not been 100 % faithful to this...
Thursday, 20 April 2017
last light // last life
Avocado sandwich for lunch at work, but dreaming of sweet carbs and chocolate. Fumbling my way back to project #iquitsweettreats. How about you?
When students wish you a happy Easter With a homemade sweet treat. Perk of being a middle School teacher. // Project #iquitsweettreats does not start until tomorrow...
Nibblies, bubbles and catching up with girlfriends - the very best way to start the Easter holiday!
She was full of complaints on the way up. (I remember being just like her when I was little...) Little did she know about all the fun she would have skiing up and down the hills with her pappa afterwards.
8 am cabin morning idyll. I even had coffee.
Both were so eager to help grandpa grind the coffee beans. A new coffee making ritual at the cabin.
shithouse boulevard constructor
the shape of spring
little mr pulk napper and his "vovva"
- - -
Week 14: April 3-9
Wednesday, 19 April 2017
Some Mondays require wine.
good night // the tulips get to sleep in the chilly bedroom too
good light makes everything pretty - even the mega messy lego table
Note to self: this (busyness) too shall pass and there will be plenty of bright days.
evening spring sky - I really, really like you
A little break to enjoy the scenery on his way up (and down and up and down and up...) the stairs.
Saturday 8 pm: walking home from a productive afternoon in the university reading room - also known as stress management
And then at 9 pm there was wine whilst waiting for the husband to finish dinner. #hesakeeperforsure
Sunday morning I got to sleep in and I got coffee in bed. He is definitely a keeper.
...in the am...
...ready for more weekend work.
reading room lunch/snacks/coffee break is serious business
Week 13: March 27 - April 2